Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Daughter is pregnant - in top sales persons in her company -

Customer Question
Daughter is pregnant -...

Daughter is pregnant - in top sales persons in her company - her boss has been making unreasonable request and saying she is not doing her job - when she has met all and is in fact well over her sales quota. He has already apologized once for as he put it "being a dick" and would work on his behavior but it continues. l would like to talk to an attorney - she needs one.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Oregon

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Well I am thinking Federal law - discrimination - pregnancy is considered temporary disability. Oregon is right to work

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She is also type one diabetic

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
3/21/2017
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 1 year ago
John, Employment Lawyer

What evidence does she have the the treatment is because she is pregnant. For example - are others treated this way, did something change when she announced or began to reveal pregnancy? Has she experienced any tangible change in employment other than him saying she is not doing her job - i.e. write ups, demotion, performance improvement plans?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No write ups or demotions etc. - no improvement plans. She has outperformed her expected quota - manager has new assignments and duties - no job description is written. He just comes up with new and different tasks to add to an already full day of work. Her demeans her and then apologizes for his behavior. He is erratic and has bad temperament. She needs to keep this job for her insurance, otherwise she would be looking elsewhere right now. What does federal law cover on this issue?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can't afford any more -

I don't see how she connects this treatment to the pregnancy the way you've responded to this. In other words it's not per se illegal to treat employees poorly. it has to be for an illegal reason, which pregnancy would be considered a protected reason, but you haven't linked the pregnancy to the treatment. For all we know, he treats everyone poorly indiscriminately, which is not illegal. She is as such confined only to internal remedies she may have through her employer - such as filing a grievance, reporting to HR or any other remedy in the personnel handbook.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.

John, Employment Lawyer