LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  30+ years legal experience and I keep current in Employment Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

My full-time position job does not offer part-time hours and

Hi
JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: My full-time position job does not offer part-time hours and I am going to school so they are basically forcing me to quit can I still collect unemployment what do I do
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NJ
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Nj
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I only have 5 weeks to give my job a response as to what are my plans

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You may not quit your full time position and go to school and collect unemployment benefits at the same time. If you are not willing to work full time for your employer, then you need to look elsewhere for a part time position that you can work at while you go to school. Unfortunately, the law does not require the employer to work around your school schedule.

You may reply to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I can address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen so that I can be compensated for helping you. I am not an employee of the site and I am only paid when you rate my service to you. There is no cost to you related to your rating my service to you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What if there is nothing part time in the same job I'm working at? That means I would have to resign regardless of my situation? They have someone else part time (which happens to be the manager's relative) & they don't have another opening for part time for me. Nobody else does part time in my job. I've been with the company for 6 years now.

If you cannot find a part time job then that means you have to make a choice---whether to go to school and have no income, or to work a full time job and not go to school.

The fact that there is another part time employee does not mean that they must legally give you a part time position. I'm sorry.

Please do be sure to rate my service to you. Rating is accomplished by clicking on the rating-stars on your page. Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help, or you are a subscription customer already, and because I am an independent site expert and not a site employee, it is the only way I am paid for answering your questions. Thank you in advance for your positive rating.

I wish you the best in 2017!

Doug

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank u anyways.

I wish you the best in your search for a job that will work with you to get you a schedule that will also allow you to continue with your education. There are a lot of employers out there that will be willing to work with you.

Have a great week,

Doug