How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5685
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am asking on behalf of my son. His employer takes over a

This answer was rated:

I am asking on behalf of my son. His employer takes over a month to pay their employees. My son believes his employer has repeatedly shorted him on hours, but it is difficult to quantify as it takes his employer so long to pay their employees. How can we get his employer to pay the missing hours?
JA: PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine.
Customer: What..?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in? What confuses you?
Customer: I was confused about the PayPal comment... We live in Florida.
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: At will. Part time.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He has spoken with his employer directly, and was told they would look into it. He has not heard anything from them, so he e-mailed them yesterday. Still no response...

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Have you finished researching my question? I see that I have been charged another $33, but have not received an answer yet...

These are all wage violations of course - under Florida law employees are supposed to be paid no less than twice a months and of course for all hours worked. He has two options - one is to file a wage claim with the Federal government. He can learn how to do that here

Note however that I'm not certain there is jurisdiction over this employer for the federal dept of labor as that requires the employer have $500k in gross recipients per year. His second option is to file a lawsuit in state court for the lost hours and penalties for the infrequency of pay. The Florida Department of Labor does not handle these types of claims unfortunately.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

John and 4 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you