Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I recently applied for a promotion. After applying I was…

Customer Question
I recently applied for a...
I recently applied for a promotion. After applying I was contacted by my manager over my personal phone where he had said he heard from a credible source that I was complaining about not getting the job which was untrue. I was confused because I never had said anything of the sort. He was being aggressive and towards the end of the call he told me that he better not hear about this again. Later another coworker who had also applied and made a comment about his maturity to a trainer that was told to him as the reason he didn't get the job. Later on our same manager told him about that same comment in a meeting. Both with myself and my coworker he accused us of undermining his new choice as supervisor. From that information we both found that the same trainer was the person telling our sales manager these things. In my case it was a lie and his it was true. Shortly after that trainer received a promotion to supervisor. Since than that trainer turned supervisor has told other supervisors not to trust me because I would turn on them. In my time at this career I have only been praised by others in leadership for my character and work ethic. Now I feel that in the office I could end up under the direct supervision of that new trainer turned supervisor. Also recently one supervisor stepped down due to how that same sales manager unfairly treated and acted with him. I believe he also filed a complaint with HR. I am
Concerned that my sales manager unfairly promoted that agent as he did ask another coworker to be his eyes and ears in our office as we work in different locations. Is there anything I can do as I am concerned with how that might impact my employment down the line and also since i work in a sales roll my concern for what might happen down the line has led to a dip in my performance and increases stress dramatically in the office. I feel if I go to HR my sales manager will retaliate by putting me on that new supervisors team which I feel will put my employment at risk. All senior leadership roles like sales manager, services manager and the senior manager all have very tight personal relationships. What can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also his interaction with another employee who was just promoted to our sales department concerned me. When given the promotion he was told that he would be put in our premium compensation plan. Later the same sales manager told him he was not going to get the premium plan and if he didn't like the change he could go back to his previous position.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
These actions have led me to believe he could retaliate against me or try to force me out of my position in the company.
3/20/2017
Employment Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 1 year ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

If your manager passed you over for promotion for a reason other than prohibited grounds such as race, gender, age (40 and over), religion, I am afraid that you do not have any legal recourse. This is because as an employee at will, your employer can pass your over for any reason the employer deems fit so long as the reason is not because of race, gender, religion, etc. However, if you were passed over because of your age, race, religion, or the like, you can file discrimination complaint with U.S. Equal Employment opportunity Commission if your employer has 15/20 or more employees. Nonetheless, any concern you have should be brought to your Human Resources Department. However, if you are not comfortable doing so, your other option would be to start looking for another work to get away from the toxic environment.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

Best wishes,