Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Based on my agency, our organization allows employees to…

Customer Question
Based on my agency...

Based on my agency, our organization allows employees to accrue Sick Leave, Annual Leave, etc. On February 21/ 2017, I was rushed to the ER. I contacted my Employer at 6:03 a.m. notifying him of what was occurring. When I arrived back to work with a doctor's note and documentation, my employer refuse to allow me to utilize my sick leave. He stated that he didn't authorize me to be sick.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NC

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Our Policies state we can use Sick Leave time. However, he approve other employees sick leave by phone and refuse to approve mine. I filed a Letter of Grievance to my employers Supervisor now he is threatening me with a letter of termination. I feel I am being discriminated against out of retaliation

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 5 days by:
3/15/2017
Employment Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 1 year ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

You need to file complaint with your Human Resources Department. Unfortunately, if your Human Resources Department fails to resolve the issue or ignores your complaint, you would not have any legal recourse if the employer did not illegally discriminate against you. This is because as an employee at will, you work at the pleasure of your employer. This means that the employer can terminate you for any reason or for no reason at all so long as the reason for the termination is not based on any of the prohibited grounds of race, gender, age (40 and over) national origin or the like. If you cannot prove that you were discriminated against under any one these prohibited grounds, you would not have a case against the employer because you would not have proved that the employer illegally discriminated against you.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

Best wishes,

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law