Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Wrongful Termination / Forced Resignation question: 1. I

Wrongful Termination / Forced Resignation...
Wrongful Termination / Forced Resignation question:1. I worked for a company that was contracted to provide mental health counseling to students in schools in the Del Valle Independent School District in Texas.2. We were given strict quotas that we had to meet, or risk termination.3. Other units in the company were contracted to provide mental health counseling to students in other districts: the Austin Independent School District and the Manor Independent School District.4. Counselors in the Austin and Manor school districts were typically asked to cover 1, 2 or 3 schools, i.e., a counselor would be expected to provide counseling to students in a high school, middle school, and possibly an elementary school.5. I was being asked to cover 5 different schools, along with a busy children's medical clinic. In the end, this proved too difficult for me, and I could not maintain the quotas I was being asked to maintain. No one else on our team was being asked to cover as many schools as I was.6. My supervisor contacted me to tell me that I was about to be fired, but could resign in order to preserve my professional reputation.7. I resigned June of 2016, giving two weeks' notice to my employers.8. At my last staff meeting, my supervisor announced, in front of the entire group, that their research showed that no counselor, who was working at 4 schools or more (I was effectively covering 6), had ever been able to successfully meet the demands of the job. In other words, they admitted that it was not possible for me to achieve the quotas I had been asked to meet.Do I have any recourse here?Thanks!
Hey, any update on this?
3/5/2017
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I am a site user just like you and thus I have no control of questions on the list and when the questions are answered. Nonetheless, I apologize that the site did not meet its response time promised to you.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties. Regrettably, you have no legal recourse because as an employee at will you work at the pleasure of the employer. The employer can terminate you for any or no reason at all so long as the reason for the termination is not any of the prohibited grounds such as race, gender, age (40 and over), national origin, religion, or the like.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

Best wishes,

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Thanks! That is what I suspected. Just needed it confirmed.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law