Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Looking for a answer on members of a union not paying there

Customer Question
dues can the union do...
looking for a answer on members of a union not paying there dues can the union do anything to make them pay there dues.
JA: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?
Customer: no hr departmemt
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: yes and full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the state of Utah
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
2/26/2017
Employment Lawyer: TJ, Esq., Attorney replied 8 months ago
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Utah is a "right to work" state, which means an employee has no obligation to join a union or pay union dues. Accordingly, the union's recourse if the employee doesn't want to pay union dues is to throw the employee out of the union. It cannot force the employee to pay dues.

Does that answer your question(s)? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, and you haven't yet rated me, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.

TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney