Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I have an interview this Friday to return to a former

employer, The Home Depot (headquarters...
I have an interview this Friday to return to a former employer, The Home Depot (headquarters location), as a Sr. Analyst, Brand Advocate. This would be in their E-Commerce division, I was in their Marketing division previously.
Since I know what it is like to be an employee there, I have questions that I would like to ask during the "Do you have any questions for us" portion of the interview. However, I could use help in how to craft the questions in such a way that they would be appropriate for an interview.
Here are the questions I would like to ask:
1. What does a day look like for a Sr. Analyst, Brand Advocate?
2. What is the manager's management style? Do they micromanager their Sr. Analysts? Do they genuinely care about their Sr. Analysts?
3. How much internal pushback do Sr. Analysts deal with on a daily basis? How much internal requests do Sr Analysts deal with on a daily basis? (When I was there previously in the marketing role, I dealt with a lot of pushback from the merchants as well as other cross-functional co-workers... outside of my department)
4. Do you have your subordinate’s back? (When I was there previously in the marketing role, the marketing leadership did not try and defend their employees if things became "heated" between Marketing and Merchandising; it was like every man or woman for themselves)
5. Job stability in this role (Layoffs are not uncommon at Home Depot; usually happens around end of the year)
6. Do Sr. Analysts find themselves working on the weekends? (When I was there before, I used to have to work on the weekends because there was so many meetings during the day that you did not have time to do your work; also the work load was heavy)
7. Do Sr. Analysts find themselves completing a lot of busy work? (When I was there before, we had to complete a lot of marketing leadership-assigned paperwork/projects that derailed us from being able to concentrate on marketing efforts for our assigned merchandise department)
2/22/2017
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your questions. Your post was referred to both the "jobs" category and also "employment law." I am an employment law attorney, but I have also worked in Management and have both interviewed for, and have interviewed individuals for, Corporate and small business jobs other than attorneys. Therefore, I believe I can make some suggestions to modify your questions somewhat. I will list your questions below and then my recommendation and a short explanation for the change in parentheses.

Keeping in mind that no two days are exactly alike in this job, can you describe an example of a typical day in terms of duties and tasks for this position? (this just acknowledges that you understand that there is no absolute pattern any workday will follow but just want their best description of what is usually entails)

What is the current Division Manager's management style? For example, is there an open door policy, encouragement of interactive decisionmaking, anything that might give me a sense of what to expect? (Up front, I can tell you that most hiring managers would see the question, as written as confrontational or a red flag in terms of language used. In particular, you want to avoid the use of "micromanager" even though that is a legitimate concern, it just isn't something you want to bring up as an applicant. Likewise, they expect you to assume that the manager cares about their employees, even if we both know that isn't always the case. Hopefully, you may meet the person who might be your boss and get a sense of their style just from a chat with them.)

How do the departments interact with each other and what percentage of the job entails dealing with internal customers versus external customers? Is there a standard procedure for internal cross cooperation or assistance? (Instead of using the term "pushback," which again has a negative connotation, this just sticks with the process and not implying that there is any conflict or noncooperation.)

(I would completely delete this question. It implies that there are conflicts and that management doesn't support their employees. This really isn't something anyone would answer in any way other than say, sure, of course we do. So what purpose is there to ask it since you will never know until the issue actually arises. You have to use your gut in some cases to get a sense of how management handles conflicts. If you insist on pursuing this type of question, you might word it like the following) If there is a conflict between department employees over a task or some other issue, how does management want the employee to resolve it? For example, should they get their boss's involved and, if so, at what point?) Again, highly encourage you to leave this question out and just ask once you get hired.

Can you tell me if there have been any economic layoffs for this position in the last few years? (That's really the issue, economic layoffs, versus just job stability, which could include terminations due to just not working out or "for cause.")

Does this position require weekend and holiday work?

Can you give me some idea of how much of the job involves administrative work? ("Busy work" implies that it is something you don't want to do. Since most jobs require it, and employers expect their employees to do any task assigned, you really don't want them to think you are going to complain or be unhappy with doing whatever is necessary to get your job done. "Administrative work" is understood to be paperwork and is simply seen as a percentage of the daily work.)

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the ratings box on this page, then Site will then give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Marsha411JD, Lawyer