Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I just got hired for a new job after several interviews. I

have small gauges in my...
I just got hired for a new job after several interviews. I have small gauges in my ears, which were visible during the interviews. The employee handbook they just sent me says absolutely no earrings or jewelry. Now, I will have visible holes in my ear if I follow this policy. I don't know what to do except put small, skin colored earrings in the holes. I am feeling worried about work and how I can negotiate this. They didn't say anything during the interviews.
2/10/2017
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

I completely understand your frustration. Unfortunately, however, it is not illegal for an employer to require that you remove your gauges as a condition of employment. It's not fair that they did not bring this policy to your attention before extending you an offer of employment, but the law does not require your employer to be fair. The law only prohibits unfair treatment that is motivated by a legally protected trait, such as race or religion. Unfortunately, having ear gauges is not a legally protected trait and so this unfair treatment would be permitted. I am truly sorry.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

I can literally be fired my first day of work if I follow their policy of taking out my jewelry and have small holes in my ears?

To be direct since you are asking a direct question, "yes." Employment in GA is "at will" absent an agreement to the contrary which means you can be terminated for any reason, fair or unfair, at any time. The only exception, again, being reasons which related to legally protected traits. As having ear gauges is not a legally protected trait you can be fired for it. I wish I had better news to give, I truly do.

Again if there is anything more I can do for you just let me know. It's my pleasure....

thanks

You are very welcome. Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service (using the stars at the top of the page) so that I may receive credit for assisting you.
Very best wishes.

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer