Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am on my second interview and I was surprised that the…

Customer Question
I am on my second...
I am on my second interview and I was surprised that the employer told me to fill out all the paperwork and return it to them before the date of my next interview.
This paperwork is as follows; date of birth, soc. number, drug screening, and background check. I have never heard of this in CA. I was a manager at one time and I do not believe in CA. they can ask for this. I am over 50 and still very young and vibrant but I am worried that if I disclose my age they will not hire me. How to counter these objectives which I believe to be inappropriate and illegal.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
2/3/2017
Employment Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

Asking for a date of birth on an employment application is only permissible in limited circumstances, such as when an employer has an established policy of doing background checks on employees and needs it for that purpose. An employer is not permitted to ask for a date of birth for the sole reason of determining your age because the presumption will be that the employer considered your age when making the hiring decision, which would be unlawful.

The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) protects individuals by prohibiting discrimination against those age 40 and older, and asking applicants for their DOB can subject an employer to claims under this law. Therefore, the employer should take care not to use or appear to be using the DOB in making employment or employment-related decisions. Really what they should do is only ask for DOB on the background screening form, not the application - but so long as the employer is not using the information for discriminatory purposes, it's not unlawful to ask, as I mentioned.