Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Can I get my personal objects out of an office if I have

Customer Question
been fired JA: Because employment law...
can I get my personal objects out of an office if I have been fired
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: west virginia
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I did nothing wrong the program I was working was not making enough money plus she does not want me to tell what was going on in the office but it was mostly about money she said if I did not sign this confidential severance agreement and release I can not get any of my stuff
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Employment Law
1/31/2017
Employment Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Your employer doesn't have any right to keep or throw away your personal items. They can choose to either let you in to collect them, or they can send them to you within a reasonable time after termination. Things like your purse or car keys that are in the desk when you're let go, they'll have to let you take at the time (or you could call police to go in with you to get them peacefully). If they refuse to let you in or return your belongings, you can sue.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any other questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer