How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 118789
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm needing helping finding a lawyer to fight discrimination

Customer Question

Hi, i'm needing helping finding a lawyer to fight discrimination on my job.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Missouri
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I have reported to my Human Resources Director and nothing is being done
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just need to know how to handle the situation
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The only legally actionable discrimination in the workplace is discrimination based only on the age/race/sex/disability/national origin of the employee. Any other type discrimination or claims of unfair treatment or bullying not based on one of those reasons would be not actionable in court.
Presuming your claims of discrimination are based on one of those reasons, if the employer is not taking action, your next step is to file a complaint to the EEOC,, as they have to investigate the complaint and grant you a right to sue letter before you can proceed to sue in federal court for unlawful discrimination. You have only 180 days to file a complaint if the discrimination was a one time action and 300 days to file if the discrimination was ongoing.
Once the EEOC investigates and grants a right to sue letter, then you have 90 days from the date of the letter to file suit with your local attorney.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.