Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was approved for unemployment benefits then the employer…

Customer Question
I was approved for...

I was approved for unemployment benefits then the employer objected. I won but they appealed. I' won again then employer came up with a whole new set of lies why i got fired and they're making me repay over $3000. I want to petition the circuit court to review. How do i do that

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

My two appeals. Then they won at the second appeal hearing even though they appeared by phone and changed their reasons. All of a sudden it was because i took time off without having personal time which is false i have check stub showing i had 30 hours of personal time. It was all lies after they lost first two times so they came up with a whole new reason

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was originally fired because the wife of the owner heard me on speaker phone ( I was not aware I was on speakerphone) state to a fellow employee when told they could not leave early for a holiday weekend "what a fuc....er" that's why t hey fired me. I have almost 30 years of work history which is outstanding. No complaints about my work ethic. When they lost the first two appeals because that wasn't good reason to fire me she then came up with the story I was toxic to the workplace (no reprimand or complaint about my work prior to) and that I took time off unauthorized (even though my last pay check shows 30 hours of personal time available. This was clearly personal, so she came up with a lie at the final appeals process that WOULD work. I was told I could go to circuit court. Thoughts?

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
1/25/2017
Employment Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Did this go so far as to go before an administrative law judge?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
THey appealed the determination and lost. Then at the second determination hearing they lost as well. Then when in front of the administrative law judge, I appeared in person, she appeared by phone. She came up with a whole new set of facts that she thought she'd win on like I took unauthorized time off and was toxic to the workplace. But none of these falsehoods were ever brought up in the prior hearings. It totally shocked me.

That would be very frustrating to say the least;

so there are still several steps available -

one can appeal the administrative judge's decision to the judge him/herself for a redetermination, or to the Compensation Appellate Commission, which is more common. They will render a decision, often simply by reviewing the record. If they have a hearing, new facts cannot be argued (but any facts on the record can be).

Then that decision can be appealed to the true civil courts- i.e. the county circuit court, and then that would go to the court of appeals, and then the Supreme Court (very rare)

This is a detailed explanation:

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/uia/G_-_Appeal_Process_387866_7.pdf

If there is evidence contrary to the most recently submitted evidence that has been introduced, then one can argue that the law was not applied directly and it would qualify for an appeal.

Here is a detailed explanation of the process;

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/uia_UC1800_76144_7.pdf

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answer.
Thanks!