Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was let go from the Bellagio Hotel in December for

Customer Question
violation of standards. My...
I was let go from the Bellagio Hotel in December for violation of standards. My question is can I get a copy of records of the termination? I looked at the Employee Hand book and it says I had to violate the standard 20 times before termination in a calendar year and I don't think it was that many. I have not been able to sleep thinking about the termination. Please advise
JA: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?
Customer: No I just found it out looking in my handbook last nite
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: I'm not sure
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Employment Law
1/10/2017
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 10 months ago
John, Employment Lawyer

Generally, yes you may get a copy or at least view the record with some exceptions. Nevada employers must give “a reasonable opportunity, during the usual hours of business, to inspect any records kept by that employer” on that employee. Not all employees are entitled to see a copy of their personnel files; under NRS 613.075, if the employee worked for the employer for less than 60 days or if the request to inspect comes more than 60 days after termination, the employer may lawfully deny the request to
inspect the file. The statute refers to files “containing information used by the employer … to determine the qualifications of that employee and any disciplinary action taken against the employee, including termination from that employment.” However, the “records to be made available do not include confidential reports from previous employers or investigative agencies, other confidential investigative files concerning the employee or person referred or information concerning the investigation, arrest or conviction of that person for a violation of any law.”

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.

John, Employment Lawyer