How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12801
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son signed an agreement with a security company that if

Customer Question

My son signed an agreement with a security company that if he left before six months he would have to reimburse the employee for the cost of the training. Due to a long commute and treacherous driving conditions my son had to give them two weeks notice. Now the employer is saying that my son owes the cost of the training $3100 because he left before six months. What is your advice
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Colorado
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: "At will", non union and he was working 40 hours plus. Usually he worked 48 hours a week and sometimes more.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Unfortunately, such agreements are generally enforceable. That said, $3,100 is probably not that much money to your son's employer, and it would cost time and money for them to pursue a lawsuit, which would be the only way they can collect the penalty. This means your son has some leverage to negotiate a reduced payment amount, or a payment plan. Your son could even refuse to make any payment at all and force his employer to file a lawsuit. Regrettably, though, due to the enforceability of this sort of agreement, it is very unlikely that someone in your son's situation can convince a court he has no legal obligation to pay.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....