How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Employment lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 41619
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the abbot of a Benedictine monastery in Michigan. I

Customer Question

My name is***** am the abbot of a Benedictine monastery in Michigan.
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I have received a letter from the holder of a stock account. They say there is a discrepancy with our tax ID number & company name. They say we need a 147C letter. Do you know where I can apply for this letter. We live in Three Rivers, MI.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: No. I have asked my question.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 7 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Expert:  Ray replied 7 months ago.

You get this from IRS, they issue the 147c letter.

The IRS has a business line, which is toll free, at 1-***-***-****. You need to have the EIN or TIN number number ready so they are able to get the correct information. It is also possible to write in for a request, but this is uncommon since most people don't wish to wait around for the IRS to answer its mail, as they are already subject to a 28% penalty today.

Remember, a 147c letter is there to show you what the IRS already has on file. If this information is incorrect, or the business entity name in the IRS file is wrong, it is up to you to get this information fixed, or change the name of your business everywhere else to match the IRS, which is not recommended since you will be getting information requests for years about alternate DBA names for your business.

Give them a call here, IRS can get you the letter you need.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can postive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your reply. I called the number you gave me. It turns out that to ask for a 147C, I was referred to a different office with a different phone number which is(###) ###-#### This does have me on tract for dealing with my issue.
Expert:  Ray replied 7 months ago.

I am glad this worked out for you.I wish you the best and thanks again for rating 5 stars.