How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 13748
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I worked for House of brides in Illinois. I had full time,

Customer Question

I worked for House of brides in Illinois. I had full time, and after 1 year and 3 months, they didn't pay me for 5 days vacation. They said in this company isn't any rules and they can do what they want. When they were hiring me they said 7 days vacations after one year, but I don't have any papers. No health insurances, no benefits.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: illinois
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: and the company is making between 10 to 25 millions dollar in one year fuul time full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have pay statements, and they never pay me over time
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon,

There is no state or federal law that requires an employer to provide vacation time to employees. You could sue the employer for the unpaid vacation time, but the problem you'll have unfortunately is that with no written agreement, nothing in a company handbook, and only the statement made to you at the time they hired you, it's your word versus that of the company, and not enough to prove your case, I'm sorry to say.

If you are entitled to overtime (some employees, such as those that are salaried working in administrative, executive or professional roles are not) and the employer isn't paying you, then you should file a wage complaint form with the Illinois Department of Labor and let them investigate the matter for you (click the highlighted link and it'll take you right to the form and instructions).

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 8 months ago.

Was there any additional information I could provide about my answer or something I could clarify?

I, like the other Experts on this site, am here to assist customers like you. However, we do so in anticipation of being paid for our efforts, just like other professionals do, since this is our livelihood and not a hobby. To that end, I am more than happy to clarify my answer to you and answer any related follow up questions that you might have. In return, I ask that you show good faith in compliance with the Terms of Service by accepting my answer, whether the news is good or bad, so that I will be paid for my efforts. Thank you!