Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was admitted to the hospital last week and I have a note

Customer Question
JA: Have you documented this...
JA: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?
Customer: I was admitted to the hospital last week and I have a note from the hospital saying i was admitted.
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: My employer said that i have to return the answers to the following questions in 7 days from the physician. Do I have to tell them the reason for my admittencse?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: a. What is the nature and severity of the impairment?
b. What is the duration or expected duration of the impairment?
c. What is the permanent or long-term impact, or the expected permanent or long-term impact of or resulting from the impairment?
d. Is Gregg fit to return to his job in a full-time unlimited capacity at this time?
e. If not, is there an accommodation that will allow him to perform the essential functions of his job?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Employment Law
1/9/2017
Employment Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can you tell me what state you are in?

.

Are you filing for some type of short term disability benefits?

.

If you don't return the answers, what happens?

.

.

thanks

MaNot filingIDK
The followin is the email I recievedHi Gregg,
Just checking in as we are all concerned about your health as of late and hope you are receiving the care you need. I know I mentioned previously that as you have exhausted all of your vacation time and were negative 8 days into vacation as of Tuesday, anything beyond that does need to be unpaid.
At this point we do not have sufficient information to determine what we can expect regarding your illness and ability to return to work on a normal schedule. For this reason, we ask that you submit the following questions to your healthcare provider (if you prefer to submit them to your personal physician rather than the physician in the hospital that’s fine)a. What is the nature and severity of the impairment?
Please return the information above within the next seven days so we can have a better idea of what to expect going forward. Wishing you the best.
Im full time salaried employee

Ok, the employer is attempting to determine whether you will be able to return to work shortly with accommodations or whether they are going to terminate your employment..

.

If you have some type of temporary disability, then if you provide that information, it may qualify you for any type of short term disability benefits that they may offer.

.

But without any information about what the nature of your absences are, they would be within their legal rights to terminate your employment for excessive absences, even with a doctor's note, as that doesn't protect you from termination.

.

You don't have to go into explicit detail about any issues, and your doctor should be able to answer the questions without divulging any confidential medical information to the employer..

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer