How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 2130
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was an employee for the Government. A co-worker was on the

Customer Question

I was an employee for the Government. A co-worker was on the phone conducting personal business. He mentioned Chile, at which point, standing more than ten feet away and not facing him, I said in a normal voice; "it's chilly in Chile", at which point he jumped to his feet, grabbed his chair lunging forward in a motion like he was going to come out of his cubicle; and screamed; " just shut the f--k up". After finishing his business on the phone, he ran into thew supervisor's office.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Missouri. I was already on blood pressure medicine and phoned my physician as my heart was pounding. The physician wrote me off from work stating I shouldn't go back until I felt I was ready. The supervisor told me he was going to take NO action. Supervisor sent an email to me stating he knows conflicts are stressful, but, since he did not witness it he was taking no action.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The supervisor did not notify his supervisor in St. Louis, or report it to the Federal Police. We are required to attend workplace violence training; and, I do not remember NOT doing anything about it.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I had to take personal time off ( sick leave), I feel I should have been given Administrative Leave.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that and I know how much a work conflict can hurt. At this point you should simply voice your complaint in writing to HR. There's not really grounds here for suing but if another incident happens then the emails in writing to HR would be proof that they had notice of the ongoing issue.

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 6 months ago.

Let me know if you have any additional questions otherwise a positive rating would be greatly appreciated.

Related Employment Law Questions