How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 118762
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an employee at a company that bills medicaide for

Customer Question

I am an employee at a company that bills medicaide for services rendered to my client. they are insured with malpractice insurance. Because the client has seizures and cant be without his mom to take care of him they allowed me to set up a therapy room in a building that I share with what will be private practice for me in the future. I am not insured at this time and the company doesnt rent the space from me. I have been told that this is fraud, as they have no insurance on this client at my building and no licenses or anything. they are now trying to get me to quit or get the client out of my building without explanation. I am afraid for my job and for my future practice. Is what they are doing legal?
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? And do you have copies of the medical records?
Customer: I am in michigan. the child has severe autism and a multiple seizure disorder. I could get copies of his medical records if needed
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I am trying to decide what to do. I have been told by a second party that this is very illegal.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is there anything I can do to protect my future practice or licensure? also does this cost anything?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you work for this company as an employee, even if you are at another building, then they can bill medicare for your services. If you are seeing the child as part of your private practice, then that is a problem for them to be billing for you without you having your own medicare provider number. At this point, the best thing to do is you need to send the client back to the employer's main offices until you get your own provider number and insurance and then you can take the patient back.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.