Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I'm confused on recent changes in labor laws-wages to take

Customer Question

I'm confused on recent changes in labor laws-wages to take effect by Dec 1st?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Nevada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: 15-20% or more paycut by my company's "new payplan".
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for your post, can you please tell me what your legal question is and provided some brief facts that put it into context?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As I've said 3 times now, confused about the new labor laws in NEVADA. New payplan results in 15-20% PAY CUT
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello????
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR, your previous contributor left.
This system works best with back and forth communication. I understand you want to know about the labor law change that was supposed to take effect December 1. Just so we are clear and do not give you information you are not interested in, are you talking about the proposed regulation about Salary/Exempt employees that was supposed to increase the minimum salary for them up to $47,476 per year and your employer took everyone off salary and put them on hourly?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the salry employee change. Before I was paid a base wage of 8.19 per hour. This was insignificant as when I was paid 3% of gross sales and 3% of gross profit, this amount was subtracted. Under new pa y plan, 10 $ per hour plus a 3% plus up on biweekly sales amount exceeding $20, 000. The end result was a 15-20% PAY CUT.
Thank you for your reply.
Employee wages and the decision of how to pay them is something is discretionary to the employer under the laws on at will employment in NV. So, it is not illegal or improper for the employer to change an employee's wages. As long as the employee is making at least minimum wage and overtime for any hours over 40 hours in a week, legally the employer is satisfying the law and actual pay plans are up to the discretion of the employer and the employee can only negotiate that pay plan with the employer.
So if they did this and cut your pay it is going to be up to you to negotiate with the employer, but ultimately, legally the employer has a right to change the pay of an at will employee.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.