How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Employment lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 41037
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was out of work for 2.5 months in March after surgery on

Customer Question

Hi, I was out of work for 2.5 months in March after surgery on my neck and got FMLA. On Sept. 23 I fell after passing out and was in the hospital for 6 days and have not been able to work since that. The doctors could not figure out why I have been dizzy. I had FMLA until the end of Nov. Now the employer has decided they are putting me on temporary status as of 12/24/16 and the doctor determined I could go back to work Monday. Can I draw unemployment if I quit?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Minnesota
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: HR wants me to come in and sign papers and talk about my benefits.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They talked about putting me on temp. status, but I don't remember them telling me a date.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 6 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 6 months ago.

If you quit here you are unlikely to get UI benefits.You also likely don't have enough wages on file here either.Please don't shoot the messenger here being honest.You may want to consider at least trying the temp status or apply for SSDI here.These are your options.

I am so sorry that you are having to do this.If you try working and are unable to do so then you file for SSDI. Maybe you get luck and they lay you off here if you are temporary and have some wages on file.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.If you have more followup please just ask.I know you are going through a lot here and it is not a problem.

If you can positive rate 5 stars when we are done it is much appreciated.

Expert:  Ray replied 6 months ago.

Let me know if you have more thanks.