Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I have a nursing license question. Arizona. Basically my hr

Customer Question
I have a nursing license...
I have a nursing license question
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Arizona
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, basically my hr dept was accusing me of stealing meds and wanted me to take a drug test or fire me. I had smoked pot with my husband on New Yeas eve with my husband so I quit and left. I was interviewing for another job anyway but I'm concerned about my license.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I made a comment " If it would be negative would we be here now" in the heat of the moment. I'm concerned my hr dept will report that as an admission of guilt.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
1/5/2017
Employment Lawyer: Ray, Employment lawyer replied 1 year ago
Ray, Employment lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

They likely reported you to the Nursing Board.My suggestion here is to sty clean they can order you to random drug test to keep your license so be prepared for this.They often do hair follicle testing that can take as much as 90 days for you to test clean here.All you can do is wait and see if they rated you out to the nursing board.You have a legitimate concern here.But even if you test for pot they might likely put you on probation.There is no claim that there was patient harm or a negative outcome.You just need to be careful for awhile.Maybe you can do some temp nursing here to put professional distance between you and this employer.I think that overall time is on your side and you will be fine.I think quitting here was a good choice give the circumstances.You had to make a tough choice.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.I wish you the best.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Tina, Lawyer