Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I was granted christmas eve off.I was not told ahead of time

Customer Question

I was granted christmas eve off.I was not told ahead of time that the person replacing me was going to be out sick.Everyone else knew but me.I was called in the executive directors office and asked who was working I told them my replacements name the boss said he wanted me to know who was working he already knew I said I would work six of the twelve hours but managers would have to follow by replacing me now I am being called in for an attitude problem if they had been honest from the get go and told me the replacement wasnt going to happen I would of been more open to help.We are required to do one holiday I did 12 on Thanksgiving Chrostmas eve was not a holiday.The girl sceduled for Chrismas that did only six hours got a whole day off.I am now being brought up for bad attitud.I am 68 years old I am definitly feeling discriminated against.I have worked the past christmas holidays for 8 years
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Massachussetts
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: 24 hours per week non union
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I am very sorry to hear that you are being accused of an attitude problem. What specifically is your legal question regarding this situation? How can I help you?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was granted a vacation day they signed request it was for Christmas eve I was then told the day before I had to work it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I told them they granted the request I would work 6 of the 12 hours scheduled but managers would have to cover the rest

Thank you. So, if I am understanding correctly, your question is whether you can be terminated for refusing to work all day Christmas on the ground that you were previously promised the day off?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
They are calling me in on this on Friday Jan6th

I understand. Can you please let me know if I have stated your question accurately above?