Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.
7286322

If fraud upon the court is reported to the u s court of

Customer Question

if fraud upon the court is reported to the u s court of appeals, do they have a duty to rule on it, if so what rule or law states so.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit has appellate jurisdiction, and will only hear a case if it is properly appealed. It has no duty to hear/investigate a fraud claim by itself, without an appeal. This is under Federal Rules of Appellate Procedure Title II.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of THREE OR MORE STARS and then click FINISH to submit that rating, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating (it does not cost anything extra to rate).

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
if fraud upon the court is practice in the court of appeals and it is pointed to by a party, don't they have a duty to atleast rule upon it, or can than neglectfully ignore it.
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.
My apologies for the wait. No, the Court does not have a duty to investigate a fraud allegation. I am sorry. The Court's power is very narrowly construed to simply rule on the appeal.
Gentle Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE THREE OR MORE STARS and click FINISH to submit your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.