LawyerDavid
LawyerDavid, Lawyer
Experience:  Highly experienced attorney in Employment Law
95745447

An individual who is an Ecuadorian/USA citizen is working

Customer Question

An individual who is an Ecuadorian/USA citizen is working full time for my LLC in Ecuador. She wants to be employed as an Ecuadorian and not receive a W2 or 1099.Can that be legally done?If she gets a 1099 or W2 she is concerned about the need to file a tax return. My understanding is that she could do it herself and not have to pay tax anyways as she is out of the USA and with the FEIE wouldn't be subject to Fed tax anyways.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  LawyerDavid replied 7 months ago.

Hello Jason, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. As a U.S. citizen she is required to report and pay taxes on her income even if earned in a foreign country. It is a part of being a U.S. citizen. Here is a link to the IRS website that explains the requirements in this situation. https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/u-s-citizens-and-resident-aliens-abroad-filing-requirements.

I hope this helps. All the best, David