Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

When you first get a job ain,t they supposed to tell you

Customer Question
about your benefits and 401k...
when you first get a job ain,t they supposed to tell you about your benefits and 401k plans?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: N.C.
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: PARTTIME BUT GETTING MORE HOURS THAN PARTTIME I HAVE MADE 50 HOURS AT ONE TIME
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: THE MAIN REASON I ASKED THAT QUESTION IS I AM DISABLE ALSO PLUS ONE OF THE MANGERS STRESSED ME TO THE POINT I HAD A STROKE
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
1/4/2017
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 1 year ago
John, Employment Lawyer

Yes, when employees become eligible for benefits, ERISA requires that the plan provide you at least a summary plan description for the plan benefits. In a case like yours, you probably qualified for benefits because of your hours, but because you were called "part-time" it didn't occur to anyone to get you those plans or tell you about the eligibility you have. The bad news is that you in all likelihood are going to have to get a lawyer and sue them to get these benefits at this point, because they're not just going to pay them out to you when you point this out; they'll contest this.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.

John, Employment Lawyer