How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Employment lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 42804
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an administrative assistant who has been doing a good

Customer Question

I am an administrative assistant who has been doing a good job as evidenced by reviews and bonuses. My boss decided he wanted a paralegal to help him but has asked me to "cross train" and show her everything I do. In other words, I'm being replaced without being told I'm being replaced. I've asked the administrative supervisor what out respective roles and responsibilities are, and told her my concern about being replaced. She said she just likes to see "ingredients" stew and see what happens. I'm not an ingredient, I'm a human being. Is it legal for this to be asked of me. Is it legal for them to be this manipulative rather than honest and up front? It's causing me a great deal of worry. It's put me in the emergency room with gastitis and my doctor has increased medication for depression.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: San Francisco, California. thanks
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Full time and at will.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only that I work for a construction company. The roles filled by the men are clearly defined. I believe it is discriminatory to treat the women office workers differently and just "let ingredients stew." The stewing is making my mentally and physically ill.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

You may want to file a complaint here with EEOC.It appears that you have been discriminated against and that the women here are treated differently than the men overall.EEOC will investigate and may issue a right to sue letter and then you can sue employer.Also this offers you protection if they try to terminate you then you claim retaliation.

EEOC file here

If you believe that you have been discriminated against at work because of your race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information, youcan file a Charge of Discrimination. All of the laws enforced by EEOC, except for the Equal Pay Act, require you to file a Charge of Discrimination with us before you can file a job discrimination lawsuit against your employer. In addition, an individual, organization, or agency may file a charge on behalf of another person in order to protect theaggrieved person's identity. There are time limits for filing a charge.

I appreciate the chance to help you today and wish you the best here.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.


The law forbids discrimination when it comes to any aspect of employment, including hiring, firing, pay, job assignments, promotions, layoff, training, fringe benefits, and any other term or condition of employment.

An employment policy or practice that applies to everyone, regardless of sex, can be illegal if it has a negative impact on the employment of people of a certain sex and is not job-related or necessary to the operation of the business.