Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

My manager called me a, Not yet I'm 17 years old and I don't

Customer Question
My manager called me a...
My manager called me a dumbass
JA: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?
Customer: Not yet I'm 17 years old and I don't know what to si
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Do*
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
1/1/2017
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Loren, Lawyer

I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and my goal is to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

If you are asking if you have a claim for hostile work environment based upon the manager calling you a name, then answer is no.

Harassment must be viewed in its totality. Mere discourtesy, rudeness or lack of sensitivity should not be confused with harassment. The harassing behavior must be sufficiently severe or pervasive so as to alter the conditions of employment and create an abusive working environment. The more severe the conduct, the less pervasive it must be. The required showing of severity varies inversely with the frequency of the conduct.

A single incident, simple teasing, off-hand comments or isolated instances of offensive sexual conduct or remarks generally will not be sufficient to create a hostile work environment. A hostile environment claim generally requires a showing of a pattern of offensive conduct. However, a single severe incident of harassment can be a violation of the law, particularly when the harassment is physical or quid pro quo.

So, it is unlikely there is a legal claim to be filed for this.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Loren, Lawyer