Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I really dont know where to start but i having been dealing

Customer Question
hi i really dont know...
hi i really dont know where to start but i having been dealing with racism at my job
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: south carolina
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: im in the process of doing that now with my hr service but when i called them they said i don know other people situation
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that im not the only one at my job that has witness it
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/31/2016
Employment Lawyer: Ray, Employment lawyer replied 1 year ago
Ray, Employment lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

You would want to file with EEOC as well.You would be able sue if EEOC finds in your favor and issues a right to sue letter.You can then sue for damages for the harm you have suffered in this situation.

File here

https://www.eeoc.gov/employees/charge.cfm

If you believe that you have been discriminated against at work because of your race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information, youcan file a Charge of Discrimination. All of the laws enforced by EEOC, except for the Equal Pay Act, require you to file a Charge of Discrimination with us before you can file a job discrimination lawsuit against your employer. In addition, an individual, organization, or agency may file a charge on behalf of another person in order to protect theaggrieved person's identity. There are time limits for filing a charge.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.I wish you the best and am sorry you have had to deal with this.

If you can positive rate it is much appreciated.

Reference from EEOC

The law forbids discrimination when it comes to any aspect of employment, including hiring, firing, pay, job assignments, promotions, layoff, training, fringe benefits, and any other term or condition of employment.

It is unlawful to harass a person because of that person's race or color.

Harassment can include, for example, racial slurs, offensive or derogatory remarks about a person's race or color, or the display of racially-offensive symbols. Although the law doesn't prohibit simple teasing, offhand comments, or isolatedincidents that are not very serious, harassment is illegal when it is so frequent or severe that it creates a hostile or offensive work environment or when it results in an adverse employment decision (such as the victim being fired or demoted).

The harasser can be the victim's supervisor, a supervisor in another area, a co-worker, or someone who is not an employee of the employer, such as a client or customer.

Ray, Employment lawyer