Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

If an employee has exhausted their 12 weeks of FMLA and have

Customer Question
no known date to return...
If an employee has exhausted their 12 weeks of FMLA and have no known date to return due to the illness, can employer terminate their employment? Employee has been put on the transplant list for a liver.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Kansas
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: At will, full time employee
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/30/2016
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and my goal is to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

Yes, so long as the termination is not discriminatory or based upon their use of FMLA, once the FMLA limit is reached the employee may be terminated. They are not protected from termination under FMLA after they use up the 12 weeks.

You are very welcome. If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer