How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 57331
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was put on a two month leave of absence without pay for

Customer Question

I was put on a two month leave of absence without pay for taking some unpaid leave of absence due to family medical emergencies. What can I do about it?
JA: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?
Customer: I work as a security guard for the past 13 years and The times I was out of work for family medical reasons I was accused my our interim manager as causing overtime pay to cover my absence. I di write a lwetter to the head of the Board
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: It is part time...3 10 hour shifts
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was full time until a few months ago when I gave up one of my work days. I am 76 years old and my family said I should work less hours
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 8 months ago.

I can suggest some options for preparing and pursuing a case against the company. would you like that information?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This company is made up of 5 condos and 20 estate homes and a beach club on the beach...I had sent a letter to the head of the Board of directors stating the absences I took and which I did not get paid for. Also I was told by our interim, general manager that I was causing a lot of overtime to cover my shifts and placed me on a two month unpaid leave of absence and also withheld my Christmas bonus that we always receive every year
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 8 months ago.
I am sorry this happened. I will do the following: 1. suggest options for pursuing a case 2. preparation tactics 3. way to find a local lawyer if you still wish to involve one but can save on fees by following steps 1 and 2
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 8 months ago.
You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! A lawyer letter alone can often bring about a settlement as the other side realizes that you are serious and gets concerned about its risk and legal fees.
The labor department is another avenue as well.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.You stand to recover not only your actual losses (compensatory damages) but also interest, costs and legal fees. on occasion special damages (punitive damages) are also and are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if that is acceptable and feel free to reply back and follow upHappy holidays! Kindly rate me five stars.