Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I work for a company who recently announced they are closing

Customer Question
our branch and moving it...
I work for a company who recently announced they are closing our branch and moving it out of state at the end of the year. I have been here 1 year. On Friday they let all employees go with pay and insurance until the end of the year...except for me. Now I have to do all of our jobs for my pay which is the lowest of all here. Is this discrimination?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Georgia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: what do you mean
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: has what been filed
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/5/2016
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you. Please just give me a moment to review your question....

While this is highly unfair, it is not illegal conduct on the part of your employer, as no law requires them to be fair or to pay you more for additional work. You can, however, attempt to negotiate with them. It seems that they probably need you very badly in order to complete the branch transition, so you may be in a position of negotiating leverage. It's just not a situation that the law governs. You can ask for more money, but your employer is not legally required to pay you more. You can leave if the terms of employment are not acceptable, and by that same token your employer does not have to continue employing you if you ask for too much. It's up to you both to reach an agreement.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get paid for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.

Very best wishes.

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer