How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 29802
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My employer put me on FLMA leave and they terminated me

Customer Question

My employer put me on FLMA leave and they terminated me while I was on leave I spoke with the department of labor and they told me that my employer violated all my federal right but because the dont have 50 employees in a 75 miles radiees they can't help me .. so does that mean that there's nothin I can do .... that they can put a person on FMLA leave and do whatever they want ...
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 7 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

The Family and Medical Leave Act only applies to employers with at least 50 employees within a 75 mile radius. Small employers, by definition, cannot violate that statute because they're not bound by it in the first place. However, some courts have found that the Americans with Disabilities Act requires employers to hold a job for someone in a situation where FMLA does not apply, as a reasonable accommodation. You may have recourse under the ADA if your employer is large enough that they would not have suffered an undue hardship by holding your job for you.

A successful employee under the ADA is entitled to compensation for their attorney's fees by the employer, so it may help to see if you can find someone in your area to help you negotiate with your former employer or file a lawsuit. A good place to start is The Utah Bar also has a service that allows low-income residents to find an attorney for a low-cost initial consultation. That might help, since you're not currently working.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?

Related Employment Law Questions