Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Was on med leave for around a year and a half I didn't quite

and I wasn't let go...
Was on med leave for around a year and a half I didn't quite and I wasn't let go been back to work for 6 months I asked my boss about vacation he said he didn't see a problem with it so I took vacation he only pages me 20 hour said I wasn't untitled to 40 hours I had 100 hours of vacation when I got sick every year can they do that with our telling me first
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Wv
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
11/28/2016
John, Employment Lawyer

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you

In WV there is no law mandating that employers provide paid leave, and the law allows the employer to essentially draft their own policies for use of the accrued time off is they do decide to provide it. An employer may implement a “use-it-or-lose-it” policy ( i.e. that if you don't use the time off by a certain date you lose it requiring employees to use their leave by a set date or lose it), so long as the employee has agreed to the policy in writing; usually via an employee handbook. See Meadows v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., 207 W. Va. 203, 530 S.E.2d 676 (WV Sup. Ct. 1999).

Thus, to answer your question - this could be legal provided the employer provided you notice of the policy and you signed off on it; you may have done this at hiring. You'll need to review your manual. If it's not in the manual you have a claim for that time off, and if the employer refuses you can file a complaint with the WV Dept of Labor http://www.wvlabor.com/newwebsite/Pages/Wage_Hour_wage_collection_employees.html

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No thank you

Ok. Thanks, ***** ***** a moment to indicate your satisfaction and the session is completed. Thanks again for using JA.

Sorry to bother you, but you haven't yet provided a positive rating for this answer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit and I get no credit for the work I put into the matter. Thanks.

John, Employment Lawyer
John, Employment Lawyer