Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I'm working on an independent film in North Carolina. I made

Customer Question

Hi. I'm working on an independent film in North Carolina. I made a verbal agreement with someone who wanted to be the Executive Producer. The verbal agreement gave her 51% control of the project. I've since found out that she fabricated most of her resume and I have proof of several instances in which she tried to mislead me. Does this mean our verbal agreement is/can be void?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: North Carolina
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not officially, no I never signed the contract she drew up for me But I did agree to it verbally
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm the director of the film and I wrote the script. That might be relevant
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.
Hi - my and is Roger and I'll be glad to assist.
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.
First, if the contract was to span for more than 12 months, it must be in writing to be legally enforceable. If the agreement was to last more than 12 months, it is likely void since it is not written.
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.
If the contract was to be completed within 12 months, then it would be valid based on the terms you verbally agreed to.
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.
However, if the other party misrepresented material facts to you that you relied upon in making the contract, you would have a right to claim that the other side misrepresented things to you, which gives you grounds to cancel.