Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

This is worker's compensation question. I have reported my

Customer Question
This is worker's compensation question...
This is worker's compensation question. I have reported my sickness to my supervisor by texting and then verbally within 10 days of its onset. I have contracted this sickness while travelling abroad (probably exposed to a sick person in a third world country). Now this sickness can be more serious than I originally thought but it has been 6 weeks since the illness started. In NY, I believe, there is a requirement to report it in writing (i believe) within 1 month. Would I be precluded from collecting worker's compensation because of late reporting in writing to my worker's compensation carrier or I can be given a reprieve because I notified a supervisor by texting and verbally within 10 days of the sickness onset and because I did not realize the seriosness of the sickness.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/27/2016
Employment Lawyer: retireddebra,
 replied 11 months ago
retireddebra

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Employment Lawyer: retireddebra,
 replied 11 months ago

Are you in New York or are you saying you live in Canada but go sick while working in New York for a Canadian employer?

The question is on the Canada law list.

no sorry for confusion. I live in US and work for US employer. But I caught the illness while overseas in the Asian country while on company business. Did I submit this by accident to the Canadian attorney - -I was planning to do this by submitting this question to Social Security attorney in US (they also often deal with worker's comp). Also just for clarification -- the cause and the seriousness of my illness was diagnosed just a few days ago.
Employment Lawyer: retireddebra,
 replied 11 months ago

It's OK.

I will ask the site to move this question and I will opt out so a US lawyer can pick this up.

Tina, Lawyer