How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 8184
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is worker's compensation question. I have reported my

Customer Question

This is worker's compensation question. I have reported my sickness to my supervisor by texting and then verbally within 10 days of its onset. I have contracted this sickness while travelling abroad (probably exposed to a sick person in a third world country). Now this sickness can be more serious than I originally thought but it has been 6 weeks since the illness started. In NY, I believe, there is a requirement to report it in writing (i believe) within 1 month. Would I be precluded from collecting worker's compensation because of late reporting in writing to my worker's compensation carrier or I can be given a reprieve because I notified a supervisor by texting and verbally within 10 days of the sickness onset and because I did not realize the seriosness of the sickness.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  retireddebra replied 7 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  retireddebra replied 7 months ago.

Are you in New York or are you saying you live in Canada but go sick while working in New York for a Canadian employer?

The question is on the Canada law list.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no sorry for confusion. I live in US and work for US employer. But I caught the illness while overseas in the Asian country while on company business. Did I submit this by accident to the Canadian attorney - -I was planning to do this by submitting this question to Social Security attorney in US (they also often deal with worker's comp). Also just for clarification -- the cause and the seriousness of my illness was diagnosed just a few days ago.
Expert:  retireddebra replied 7 months ago.

It's OK.

I will ask the site to move this question and I will opt out so a US lawyer can pick this up.

Related Employment Law Questions