How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 116753
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What can I do about shoddy and unfinished work done by a

Customer Question

What can I do about shoddy and unfinished work done by a contractor?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Michigan
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: It's been almost 8 months and we're still not done. He had originally estimated 6 to 8 weeks.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If he has not done the work promised under your contract, then he is in breach of contract. If you have given him written notice that he is in breach and the issues you have with the work and he has made no effort to resolve the breach, you can sue him for damages and the cost of completing the work to correct the shoddy repairs. If you have not sent him written notice of the breach of contract you need to do so immediately.
You also need to get another contractor to come in and inspect the work and give you a written report of the defects in the repairs and the estimate to fix those defects and complete the job as that is going to be needed for your evidence in court if you sue.
Your alternative to suing is filing a complaint with the MI Licensing and Regulatory Agency if he is a licensed contractor:,4601,7-154-61343_35395_35396---,00.html
They can get involved and seek to resolve the complaint or can suspend his license or penalize him.
If he is unlicensed, you also do not have to pay him, as the MI law prohibits any person or corporation from bringing an action in court for the collection of any type of fee for a building contract unless they possess a builder’s or maintenance and alterations license. See MCL(###) ###-#### That same code section also prohibits the filing of a lien by an unlicensed individual. A person is allowed to engage in what is called the “handyman’s exception” if the contract for material and labor is less than $600.00 or that person “engages solely in the business of performing work and services under contract with a residential builder…licensed under this article.” See MCL(###) ###-####
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.