Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was a victim of many encounters of harassment for over a

Customer Question
I was a victim of...
I was a victim of many encounters of sexual harassment for over a year and a half. I finally left my job and have since considered suing the company for my damages. I had a company car with paid insurance, and I left the company and my health insurance. I made $52,000 per year. I have health problems and have had to do without health care due to loss of insurance. I'm in the state of Tennessee and don't know how much to ask for in this case. It's caused me and my family much stress, and I shouldn't have had to be the one to leave my job. I was the Director of Human Resources, ironically.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
11/17/2016
Employment Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. Unfortunately, there is a very short statute of limitations for gender discrimination and sexual harassment causes of action. The employee only has 180 days from the date of last discriminatory act to file a complaint with the State of Tennessee, or 300 days to file with the EEOC. A complaint must be filed with one of the agencies I mentioned during those timelines in order to preserve a case for suit. Therefore, if you never filed those complaints with those timelines, the statute of limitations for any case you might have would have already run out since, as you say, it has been a year and a half.

Once the complaints have been filed you would have had one year from the date of the alleged sexual harassment to file suit or 90 days from the date the agency issued their "right to sue" letter, whichever was later.

I am sorry that the news wasn't better. If you have any follow up questions, please ask. If not, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating of my efforts to explain the law to you, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the17th . For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit(paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating,please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.

Marsha411JD, Lawyer