LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  30+ years legal experience and I keep current in Employment Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

I am a retired DC policeman. I am moving to WV. Will my

Customer Question

I am a retired DC policeman. I am moving to WV. Will my pension be taxable?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon Susan,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Under WV law, the general rule is that retirement income is taxed by the state. But up to $2,000 of any civil, state, federal, or military pension are exempt from state income taxes. And if you are 65 or older, you can exclude up to $8,000 for individual filers or $16,000 for married filers on any retirement income.

So, presuming that your pension will be more than $16,000 per year, you will have to pay state income taxes on it in WV even if you are over the age of 65.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please know that I answer your questions in good faith, providing you with the information that you ask for, and I do that with the expectation that you would act likewise, and rate my service to you. Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help, or you are a subscription customer already. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you. So, please do be sure to rate my service to you. Rating is accomplished by clicking on the rating-stars on your page. Thank you in advance for your positive rating.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I never paid into Social Security, does that matter? My DC police job never took out SS because the pension was suppose to be more than SS.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good evening,

I apologize for the delay. I had a short day in my office but I saw that you responded and wanted to answer you tonight.

Actually, as you were a government paid LEO I didn't expect that you paid into social security. And I am sure that you pension will be much more than basic social security which tops out at just $2,650 per month, even for folks who made 6 figures a year all their life, or more. However, the issue is not FICA taxes but just basic, old greed by the state. There are a lot of states that will not tax retirement pay---but WV is unfortunately not one of them. I am sorry.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good evening,

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. You can request a call by clicking on the "Call Me" button on your page.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service, It is greatly appreciated,

Doug