Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I am a 61 year old Registered Nurse. I am employed at a

Customer Question
I am a 61 year...
I am a 61 year old Registered Nurse. I am employed at a Catholic Hospital. This year they made the flu vaccine mandatory. My immune system was compromised after an exposure to black mold. I took the flu shot in 2015 and I had health issues for approximately 6 months after. I filed for both a medical and religious exemption. The medical exemption was denied and the religious exemption has not been addressed. I was told 2 days ago to stay home since I had not received the flu vaccine by November 15. I was told that these were considered unexcused absences and could lead to termination. I have been a nurse for 24 years at this facility with exemplary attendance and patient care. Can you advise me?
JA: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?
Customer: Went to HR this morning for answers and something in writing especially since they had not addressed the religious exemption. They told me it was not their issue. I asked for policy in writing and have an appointment to go back at 3:30 today
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: No union, work 7 out of 10 days per 2 week period/ part time.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have also filed religious exemptions for my adult children while they were in school for vaccination exemption which my employer does not know
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
11/17/2016
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

I can suggest options for pursuing a claim. would you like that?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dissatisfied with what is going on now, please refund my money.
Employment Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good morning,

New Professional here. I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a CA licensed attorney for more than 3 decades. I have represented nurses in actions against hospitals and nursing facilities on many occasions, and my wife is a nurse, so I understand how the health care employment situation is.

1. What is your question?

Doug

I won't be able to assist you if you are not able to provide the minimal information I sought clarification on. Please get back to me with this information at your earliest convenience.

Doug

Tina, Lawyer