How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 56831
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am not certain if I have a case worth pursuing. First may

Customer Question

I am not certain if I have a case worth pursuing. First may I ask do offer advice to the employee that has suffered a verbal abuse in Virginia on whether they have a case.
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? And has the behavior been documented in any way?
Customer: Virginia. Documented probably not. It happened this past Monday at a staff meeting that involved 5 of us, where I was called a racist two times by another in front of the rector of the church that said nothing.
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: my employment is full time.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This happened at an Episcopal Church staff meeting with two priests present where the music director called the parish administrator, me, a raciist twice in front of everyone and no one said a word. They could tell I was hurt and crying.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 9 months ago.

A case can generally be pursued to the extent the conduct is discriminatory (based on gender, age, nationality, religion, or disability)

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 9 months ago.

alternatively, where conduct violates official company policy and practices.

While a lawsuit is an option, often it is pursued by a lawyer through letter and meetings, with an out of court settlement - which is cheaper and faster.