How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 57662
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I manufacture laboratory chemicals. Finished product data is

Customer Question

I manufacture laboratory chemicals. Finished product data is recorded on paper log sheets. The inventory control group takes copies of the log sheets and entrees them into an inventory/accounting computer program. Inventory supervisor is quitting. Company controller decided to order the chemists to make the computer entries. The program has many defects; took me two hours to successfully enter one item. Some items cannot be entered because of defects. Is it unfair to order the chemists to enter data into this program when it has has always been done by the inventory group?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: At-will.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 11 months ago.

are you asking if you can challenge the decision?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This duty has never been a part of our job.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 11 months ago.

You can indeed do so where your duties where defined and now being changed. This can be done informally with HR or through a lawyer. The case is obviously stronger if you have a hiring memo or contract which defines terms, or if there is a company policy or manual that is being violated or disregarded.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
As you can imagine, there are no written job descriptions, contracts, HR manual that is specific.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 11 months ago.

A lawyer could still reach out to negotiate based on general conduct, oral promises, but obviously it is a harder case especially since its an employment at will.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Understood. Thank you.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 11 months ago.
Very welcome.
Happy holidays.Kindly rate me five stars.
Leaving a bonus after rating is very much appreciated.