Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was terminated from a job based on hear say allegations. I

Customer Question
I was terminated from a...
I was terminated from a job based on hear say allegations. I showed up for work on Tuesday at 8 am and before 9 am the GM was in my office and made a comment "remember the investigation and as a result your employment is being terminated asap. He asked if I had any questions and I stated I would talk to HR as I felt that was my best solution. After talking with HR she knew nothing. I emailed the GM and he would not give me any info . He wants to meet with me. I do not feel confortable doing that . What are my options legally to find out if they had a reasonable cause to terminate me.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Arizona
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: The GM states it is a at will employment agreement. I do not understand what that means
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was told that I would not get paid for my PTO hours that I have earned. They have paid out PTO hours to other employees that left
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
11/16/2016
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, at will employment means the employer can hire or fire an employee for no reason at all or for any reason that is not based only on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin. So, if the employer fires you for no reason at all or for a reason that is not only one of those reasons I just mentioned, your only recourse is filing for unemployment.

Under AZ law the employer needs to pay PTO on termination only if they have a policy to do so. If they do have a policy and paid it out in the past, then you are entitled to the payment and if they refuse, then you can file a wage claim with the AZ Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division.

You need to file for unemployment and if they deny your benefits claiming you were terminated for good cause then you file an appeal and you provide proof that the good cause is not valid and you would get unemployment benefits. However, remember they could still terminate you for no reason at all, so all you get is unemployment benefits.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney