Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

FLSA question:If an employee's base wages are $48,000 per

Customer Question
year in 2017, , does...
FLSA question:If an employee's base wages are $48,000 per year in 2017, , does he HAVE to be classified as exempt? Or could he be non-exempt?
JA: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?
Customer: Yes-Discussed. No definitive answer.
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Full-time-at will.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
11/15/2016
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 1 year ago
John, Employment Lawyer

No. This ignores the entire premise that only certain positions may be classified as exempt - generally executive, administrative, or professional duties as defined by the DOL regulations (“duties test”) See http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/fairpay/fs17a_overview.htm

Only then can the employee be exempt if the $48,000 is paid on a salary basis, meaning regardless of the number of hours put in each week the employee is paid the same amount per workweek . Otherwise the employee is not exempt and is supposed to be paid on an hourly basis with at least minimum wage and paid overtime.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.

Sorry to bother you, but you haven't yet provided a positive rating for this answer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit and I get no credit for the work I put into the matter. Thanks.

John, Employment Lawyer