Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I would like to make an anti-Trump announcement on my

Customer Question
companies PA system. I would...
I would like to make an anti-Trump announcement on my companies PA system. I would do it "off the clock", remove any company clothing, and make a disclaimer that I do not represent the company or any of it's interests. The only caution I see is that I am prohibited from doing anything that would discourage a reasonable customer from visiting our store. Am I on "shaky" ground here? Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
11/15/2016
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you.

Unfortunately, you are on more than shaky ground. Doing this would be grounds for termination and that would be the likely result. Although you have freedom to express your political opinions outside of work, you do not have the right to do so on company property, or using the company PA. Being off the clock does not change this, as an employer is not somehow limited to only considering "on the clock" behavior when evaluating whether to terminate someone. The general rule in CA is that employment is "at will," meaning it can be terminated for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.).

So, while I appreciate your sentiment and desire to express your political message, doing so in the manner you describe will very likely result in you being terminated, and could even result in you being denied unemployment benefits. I hope that you appreciate my candor and honesty in addressing your question, even though it may not be the answer you were hoping for.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer