Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

Who can appoint EEO investigators or mediators or hearing

Customer Question

who can appoint EEO investigators or mediators or hearing office during grievance process? Who is person in charge EEO or mediators or hearing officer? if EEO investigators twisted the fact during grievance informal interview what should we can do? Is any organization can discipline those EEO investigators?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: NC
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: if grievance is not going so well what we can do? And about witness is Agency will retaliation against them? is any law can protect them to avoid termination in the future?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The local director of the EEOC is in charge of appointing the investigators and mediators for any EEO grievance. So you need to contact the director of the EEOC in your area to file your complaint. There is no other organization or entity that can discipline the investigator or mediator, only the EEOC if they are under the EEOC or if they are internal EEO investigators, then the agency they are working for is the only agency with authority over them. Witnesses in any EEO investigation are to be free of retaliation and if they are retaliated against for testifying truthfully, then they can have their own claims of retaliation against the employer. This is part of the discrimination laws regarding retaliation.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't think EEOC is able to appoint any of EEO, mediators or hearing officers to grivance process but EEOC can discipline EEO.
Thank you for your reply.
If the EEO is an agency EEO (as I said above) then the agency they work for is the only agency that can discipline them. If you are not satisfied with your agency EEO, then you can go to the EEOC and file your discrimination claims with them. The EEOC cannot discipline or control another agency EEO investigator or mediator, but you can file your discrimination claim with the EEOC if the agency EEO is not performing their duties properly.