Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I live in and work at a hair salon. I am paid an hourly

Customer Question

I live in KY and work at a hair salon. I am paid an hourly wage. The salon does sell retail however I do not get a cash commission. A percentage of what sell goes into an education fund that is supposed to pay for continuing education classes.
I have been asked numerous times to pick up different shifts that puts me over 80 hours for the pay period, but they do not pay me overtime for those hours. I have also had to attend manditory trainings on my regularly scheduled work days. I do not receive any kind of pay for those nor do I receive any kind of reimbursement for travel time or gas mileage.
Should I be compensated for that time? Should they be paying me overtime?
Also on Saturdays I work from approximately 8:45-5:30pm I get 1 scheduled 30 minute break for lunch . And on sundays I work approximately 11:45am - 5:30pm with no scheduled breaks. Can they legally not give me a break?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 8 months ago.

I'm sorry you're having to work in such conditions. In Kentucky there is a state agency that can assist. https://apps.labor.ky.gov/onlinecomplaint/

If they fire you you would have a valid lawsuit for retaliation

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
is that a "yes" to overtime? And a "no" to breaks? What about the manditory trainings?
Also I contacted the ky dept of labor they told me in ky bc we do sell retail they don't have to pay overtime. But they suggested federal laws might require them too. (I emailed the federal dept but never received a response)

I would submit the complaint for all of it. Retail is not your primary function.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'd really like to know if I should be getting paid for the manditory meetings. Will you answer that please. Yes or no?

Yes. I thought I was clear that you are entitled to all of it in my opinion. Mandatory trainings as well.