How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Employment lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 41643
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was issued a writ of garnishment for spousal support. I

Customer Question

I was issued a writ of garnishment for spousal support. I was never notified of this process and they awarded 45% of disposable earnings. They seems extremely excessive. What can i do?
JA: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when exactly were you notified?
Customer: Colorado. I found out when the first garnishment was taken from my check
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I now have a copy of the court document
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

For certain debts and circumstances, Colorado allows a higher percentage wage garnishment.

  • 50% for child/spousal support where the debtor is supporting his current family but ordered to support a former child or spouse.
  • 60% for child/spousal support where the debtor is not supporting a current family.
  • 35% for debts arising from fraudulently obtained public assistance.

The above garnishment percentages represent the maximum amount allowed by Colorado law.

I really wish I could tell you otherwise but Colorado law allows this percentage for spousal /child support.

Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.


Again I am sorry that you are having to deal with this.Please don't shoot the messenger but as can see Colorado allows for even more here, so ti could be worse.You may have to consider a second job or overtime if you can get it here to try and make up the garnishment.