How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  30+ years legal experience and I keep current in Employment Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I feel like my boss is harassing me I work at a hotel that I

Customer Question

I feel like my boss is harassing me I work at a hotel that I also live at. I've but up with him making sexual passes at me & my girlfriend. I've but up with him being drunk. And he drinks every night, most of the time I avoid him as much as I can, cause he also lives at the hotel cause he's the manager. And now he's accused me of buying drugs from someone that came by our room. And today he came beating on the room door asking where the $ for the room is I told him I have it. Closed the door to get it but when I open it he was gone so I went to the office to pay it & the lady that is working said that he told her not to take any $ from me. mind u she's only been working her 2 weeks & he gave her 40 hours this week & has cute my hours down to 20 hours even though I've been working here 5 months. What should I do. He clams that because I have a felony & his record is clean that the judge would take his word over mine.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Mississippi
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: I'm not sure I put on my app that I could work whenever needed. And he did tell me 4 different time he was gonna start giving me full time. he even had me start training for night audit I trained 2 nights then the Indian lady came & is working night audit some nights, he to is Indian.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just need to know what I can do or is it hopeless & I just need to try to find another job cause I don't have the $ to pay for a lawyer the way he does.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I've been a licensed attorney for nearly 3 decades, and for two of those decades, I have handled employment discrimination law and litigated cases against employers.Your description of the situation seems to indicate that there may be discrimination going on based on your sex.

Federal law prohibits harassment and discrimination in the workplace and if it does occur, you do have a legal remedy.

Workplace harassment/discrimination is any unwelcome or unwanted conduct that denigrates or shows hostility or an aversion toward another person on the basis of any characteristic protected by law, which includes an individual's race,color, gender, ethnic or national origin, age, religion, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other personal characteristic protected by law. A conduct is considered unwelcome if the employee did not solicit, instigate or provoke it, and the employee regards ***** ***** as undesirable or offensive.

You have every right to file a sexual harassment discrimination complaint with the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission). If your company has 15 or more employees, they are prohibited from discriminating against you. To file a complaint with the EEOC, contact the nearest Equal Employment Opportunity Commission field office. To be automatically connected with the nearest office, call(###) ###-#### EEOC website:

Federal law specifically prohibits discrimination, based upon the Ethnicity, Color, Religion, National Origin, Age, Sex or Disability of an individual, with regard to hiring, promotion and firing.

After you file the complaint,your employer will be prohibited from any retaliatory action against you. The EEOC will investigate your claim, and 180 days after the filing of the complaint you may ask for a "right to sue letter". The EEOC will issue you the letter which gives you the right to institute a private civil action against your employer and seek monetary damages.

Alternatively, or at the same time, you may also file a discrimination claim through this site:

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please know that I answer your questions in good faith, providing you with the information that you ask for, and I do that with the expectation that you would act likewise, and rate my service to you. Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you. So, please do be sure to rate my service to you. Rating is accomplished by clicking on the rating-stars on your page. Thank you in advance for your positive rating.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.


Is there anything else I can assist you with today?